Generally, the real content of the site is all on the main ("article") pages. "Talk" pages are for signed "discussions" of the main pages in cases where there is disagreement. They typically aren't intended to be indexed by search engines, etc. So I suggest that the excellent text below be put in a regular article. And this looks like a copy of Web Hosting Services - huh. Time-stamped signatures are entered automatically for edits by signed-in users by typing four ~'s in a row, and are translated into this: --NealMcB 10:04, 11 April 2009 (CDT)
Comparison of services used by UUs
Operating System - Linux
Features - cPanel with Fantastico and a long list of Open Source programs
Cost - 4 packages range from $12/yr. to $88/yr. ($73 additional for SSL & dedicated IP using their top 2 packages with Shell Access)
- From JoyceD 11/7/2007 - I've used it for 1 1/2 yrs. with several sites and few problems, though it doesn't have a toll free phone number for tech support & sometimes the LiveChat will put in a ticket for tech support via email, I usually get a satisfactory answer to questions within 12 hrs. I wouldn't recommend it if you need faster tech support. I notice that some accounts (on different 3ix computers) have more updated software than others. They also don't have automated bill paying using saved credit card information - they email their annual renewal bill, but they don't take down sites that are late and there's no late fee (up to 10 days or something like that). I see there's a dedicated hate group to them that primarily criticizes their "unlimited bandwidth" - I don't see how any server can truly offer bandwidth that is "unlimited" or space either, though many claim to. The cost per service is very good for those who would like to save money.
- JPD Women & Religion uses the Excite plan ($12/yr.)
- UU Allies for Racial Equity uses the Expert hosting plan (and pays a small amount extra for SSL and dedicated IP - for $128/yr.)
- Baltimore-Washington-No. Virginia Unitarian Universalists and Philadelphia Wilmington Unitarian Universalists share the same service in different directories using the Extra Hosting Plan ($33/yr.)
Operating System - Linux
Features - cPanel with Fantastico and a long list of Open Source programs - 1 package only, includes Shell Access
Cost - $6.95/mo. if you sign up for 2 yrs. up front ($166.80/2 yrs. = $83.40/yr.)
- From JoyceD 11/7/2007 - I have log-in capability on a site that uses it, but I haven't dealt with them directly. I see a lot of people think they're great, but I compared software versions and they're not up-to-date on everything. I believe it's their customer service that gets them top ratings, which includes 24X7 toll free phone support. I have also read some reviews from unsatisfied customers, though.
Operating System - Linux (Debian "Sarge" 3.1r4)
Features - Web hosting (Apache with PHP, Perl, Ruby, CGI, SSI, FastCGI, etc.). Comprehensive array of pre-installed or easily-installed services, including WordPress, Gallery, Joomla, phpBB, MediaWiki, Jabber, CVS, Subversion, WebDAV, streaming audio & video, and WebCalendar. Secure POP / IMAP / SMTP email service with SquirrelMail webmail. FTP. Procmail. Secure shell (SSH). Databases (MySQL). Spam filtering. Snapshot backups. Great control panel. Site statistics. File Storage. Custom DNS. WHOIS privacy. Unique IP and SSL available.
Resources - Basic account gets 500GB + 5TB monthly bandwidth, both of which increase every week. Unlimited databases, email accounts, shell users, hosted domains and subdomains.
Cost - $11/month + $50 startup fee. Monthly cost and startup fees decline with increasing prepaid term. Promo Codes readily available to reduce cost further.
- From Stonewall Ballard 2007/11/09 - First Parish in Concord has used DreamHost since June of 2005. I chose it because it was cheap and offered enough space for our photo gallery. Web and database services tends to be slow. Outages are not uncommon. Outgoing email is frequently blacklisted by Comcast, Verizon, and AOL. OTOH, it's very easy to use and very flexible. For example, I installed my own copy of SpamAssassin. It has a large set of services. Support is variable, but usually ok. They're very open about problems in their blog and forums. Do not choose DreamHost if you want high reliability. Go with Pair for that.
Operating System - Windows, Linux
Features - Web hosting (Apache, PHP, CGI, and Perl), Secure POP / IMAP / SMTP email service, Secure shell (SSH) & secure copy (SCP), Databases (MySQL & PostgreSQL), Anti-spam service, Snapshot backups, Debian GNU/Linux
Cost - 6 packages from $14/month (for 80 MB storage and 3 email aliases) up.
- From PatRodgers 2007/11/08 - Brett Hamilton has hosted our www.mpuuc.org website for almost 4 years. He walked me through the WinSCP setup and quickly handles changes in the forwarding of our email aliases. Readily available via email or phone.
Operating System - Red Hat Linux Fedora Core 4
Features - EnsimPro administrative panel - "comes with Web Site, Subdirectory Access (FTP), Shell Access (SSH) and Email Server Access (POP3)"
Cost - "$48 per year for 25 MB with free setup" (according to site 11/7/2007)
- From JoyceD 11/7/2007 - I've used it for ~8 yrs. & it has improved over time. I've only used it for services that our UU host, Jim Hermann, has offered free. THANKS, JIM! He serves over 100 UU congregations and organizations.
- From BruceC 2007/11/7 - I've used this service for many years. Our main pages are still hosted on a local community based service for non-profit pages. But they don't offer server programs so I have been migrating more and more to uuism. First was our domain name, then email lists, then the forums and now we are rebuilding our site in Joomla. (UUism doesn't currently offer Joomla via Ensim, but it was not difficult to install.) Ensim doesn't always keep all software up to the most current, but most of it is especially if there are security concerns. Site availability has been much better than 99%. Response to emailed questions is usually within a couple of hours.
Operating System - Linux
Features - cPanel, Fantastico (automatically installs Drupal, WordPress, Joomla, etc.), multiple MYSQL databases, multiple domains and subdomains, SSH, PHP 4 or 5, Awstats, Spam Assasin, FTP, Imap
Cost - as low as $5.95 a month
- From Chris Walton 11/9/2007 - I've hosted Philocrites and several other websites with Verve for four years. They provide extremely stable hosting and almost immediate customer support. Domain registration from $11.95 is slightly higher than from other services.