On 8 April 2005, humorist Jon Carroll wrote a piece on "Unitarian Jihad" in the San Francisco Chronicle. "Jihad" refers to a struggle for a principle or belief. As of 12 April a Google search on "Unitarian Jihad" found over 900 pages with that term on it. That increased to 36900 by the end of the first week.
Carroll's use of humorous names in the essay is delightful. The names incorporate weapons (signifying passionate engagement) with peaceful epithets. May the Pepper Spray of your Passion interdepend with the Web of your Warm Humanitarianism.
Here are some more pointers to this amazing phenomenon:
- Get your own Unitarian Jihad name
- The International Unofficial Unitarian Jihad community on LiveJournal previously known as The IED of Truth's Journal
- Wikipedia on Unitarian Jihad
- Philocrites' analysis
And some links on Unitarian Universalism:
- Find a Unitarian Universalist congregation near you
- Learn what the UU movement stands for
- See a list of frequently asked questions about our radical struggle for human dignity and the democratic process
- UU Blogs
Unitarian Universalists: Radically diverse. Spiritually alive. Justice centered. Our journey starts here.