OWL for Grades 7-9
- Sessions 1, 2, and 3: Intro, Values, and Language
- Session 6: Gender Roles
- Session 10: Gender Identity
- Language and gender variance: Constructing gender beyond the male/female binary (article)
- I'm Not There, autobiography by Jennifer Boyle
- Session 13: Thorny issues in Friendship|Session 13: Thorny issues in Friendship
- Sessions 15 and 16: Lovemaking and Masturbation
- Session 17: Contraception|Session 17: Contraception
Session 22: Decisions
Questions to ask before getting involved in intercourse
- How do I feel about intercourse? When would it be right for me? Under what conditions and with what kind of person?
- How does the other person feel? How do those feelings fit with my own?
- What makes me feel I want to have intercourse right now? Is there any chance I am pressuring or exploiting them? Are they pressuring or exploiting me?
- What do I expect it to be like? What if it’s bad and I don’t enjoy it? How would I feel about myself? About my partner?
- How would we feel if others found out about our relationship?
- Do I really TRUST my partner completely?
- What if this turns in to a strictly sexual relationship and that’s all we ever do? Is that OK?
- What extra strains might come up in our relationship once we’ve had intercourse?
- How would I feel if we broke up?
- from Champlain Valley UU Society, Middlebury VT
Sessions 23 and 24: STDs
- Fact sheet on HIV & AIDS
- Listing of all fact sheets
- "It Can't Happen to Me! True Stories About Kids and AIDS"
- "The State of AIDS Today" by Christina Tourigny
- "Nonoxynol-9 ineffective in preventing HIV infection" from the World Health Organization
Sessions 25 and 26: Safety and Abuse
Session 27: Celebration and Gifts
Books and Movies
- Elissa Webber's list of recommended GBLT books
- Elissa Webber's list of recommended love and sex books
- Laid: The Book, reviewed by Karen Rayne
- Sexpertise: Real Answers to Real Questions about Sex (2008), by Robin
Sawyer. He's a University of Maryland professor who teaches a very popular Human Sexuality course. Book is Q & A format, based on questions his students asked & what he taught, very funny & factual & conversational all at once.
- List of Movies for OWL Groups. This is a spreadsheet of the movie recommendations that have passed through the OWL-L listserv, which leaders have found to be helpful in facilitating discussion inside and outside of the classroom lessons.
- Lost Children or Lost Parents of Rockdale County (PBS)
Return to OWL-L