The Websters mailing list is designed to allow webmasters to ask and answer questions about building and maintaining websites for their congregation and/or district.
- What other useful web sites or pages have information that might be useful in designing, building, and maintaining a UU-related web site?
- What online privacy issues should I pay attention to?
- What policy should a congregation's webmaster follow?
Choosing a Web Hosting Service
- What is web hosting?
- What services are UU churches using, what do they cost, and what quality can I expect from these services?
- What basic information resource is available specifically for UU sites? (Word doc)
- Where can I find good examples of UU church web sites?
- How can I avoid common mistakes
- What should be included as part of my Web Style Guide
- How can I make my site accessible to users with disabilities?
- Suggestions for Menu-Navigation bars
- Icon Support to support icons specific to your site in different browsers.
- Web Site Usability A list of questions. How user-friendly is your web site?
- What Content Management System (CMS) can help manage a web site?
- Graphics-related questions
- What Calendar Software can help manage events information?
- What are my options for Putting sermons online?
- What Image Editing Software can I use to prepare images for the site?
News & Newsletters
- Online newsletters and methods of news distribution.
- How can I add a Search feature to our site?
- How can I track website visitors?
- What are effective anti-spam strategies?
- Identify possible DNS problems by running the diagnostic tool at http://www.dnsreport.com
Search Engine Optimization
- Since Google will be one of your major sources of traffic, you'll want to ensure that your site is listed in Google and follows the Google webmaster guidelines.
- Link placement is important to help getting your sites hits. See: Link Placement Suggestions
- What is site syndication? What's the difference between RSS/ATOM/XML/RDF?
- Why would I want to syndicate my site?
- One classic example would be to provide a "feed" of information on your Sunday services. That way, as soon as you put new information up on your web site, anyone who watched the feed would get the up-to-date information.
- Which UU churches or people have syndicated site feeds?
- See Guide to UU blogs from Philocrites
- Check out news aggregators for the software people use to read syndication feeds.
- How can we view all these current UU headlines if all we have is a browser?
Parking Lot Questions
aka wiki-pages waiting for someone to create.
- What web security issues should I pay attention to?
- How do I allow private and secure connections to my web site (SSL/TLS) and make my own certificate?
- How do I create an intranet and/or "private area" which restricts access to just our members?
- What are effective stewardship practices for our website?
- What are the pros/cons of joining affiliate programs like Amazon.com?
- Copyright Policy : Who owns the sermons : the minister or the congregation?
- My Finance Committee wants to use PayPal : what should I tell them?
- See the discussion in UU-Money.
- How can I get listservs (as in multiple) up and running ? What are my options??