Bylaws ratified May 8 2008 by a vote of 20 to 1
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Name: The name of this organization is the FIRST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH OF SECOND LIFE (hereinafter referred to as “FUUCSL”).
- Purpose: The purpose of this group is to organize as a religious community in Second Life which has at its heart these beliefs: a commitment to accept one another and encourage each other’s spiritual growth; a recognition of the inherent worth and dignity of every person; a belief in the need for justice, equity and compassion in human relations; a commitment to a free and responsible search for truth and meaning; acceptance of the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregation; a desire to further the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all; and a deep and abiding respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
- Membership: Any person who shall indicate a willingness to support this organization and subscribe to its purposes, as above, and who expresses a desire to join it, can do so by sending an IM to the Treasurer requesting to join. Members are expected to regularly contribute by supporting the organization financially and/or volunteering in its activities. The Treasurer may remove from membership individuals who have not signed on to SL within the last six months or who have not contributed within the last year. Members shall be assigned the role of “Voting Member” in the SL group Unitarian Universalists of SL.
- Governance: In June of each year, a Leadership Group shall be elected by the voting members of FUUCSL. The mechanism for voting shall be determined by the Leadership Group. The Leadership Group shall consist of seven members of the FUUCSL whose term of office will be one year. Officers of the FUUCSL (Moderator, Treasurer, Secretary) shall be selected by the Leadership Group from among the members of the FUUCSL by an internal process. Vacancies in the Leadership Group shall be filled by the Leadership Group.
- Amendment: Proposed changes to the Bylaws shall be approved by a 2/3 vote of the Leadership Group and submitted to the membership for discussion and approval. A three-fourths vote of the membership who cast a ballot on any measure shall be sufficient to amend the bylaws.
- Initial Adoption of Bylaws: These bylaws were approved by the Leadership Group on May 7, 2007, and ratified by a majority vote of those persons attending a meeting called and held for such purpose, without regard to any voting qualifications or requirements provided for in these bylaws.
Ratified May 8,2008, by a vote of 20 to 1 at a meeting called for that purpose.